There’s nothing quite like a classic, and that’s just what apple pie is. Why buy one already made when you can take 7 basic ingredients and turn them into that warm, delightful apple pie flavor everyone loves!
What Goes Into Easy Homemade Apple Pie?
Naturally, apple pie contains apples. Along with butter, flour, sugar, brown sugar, and water, you create a stovetop filling that goes into your pie crust with the fresh apples to create a thick and rich texture. A little clever cutting and latticing on top, and you have a classic apple pie.
If you’re not up for the latticing, you can also top the filled pie with the second pie crust as a whole. Just make sure you poke some holes in it to vent it so it cooks properly. Don’t forget to grab vanilla ice cream and whipped cream for serving!
Apple pie is great to make ahead of the holidays because you can freeze it. It’s best to do so before baking but you can also freeze it after it’s baked. They will last for as long as 6 months when frozen.
Granny Smith apples are by far the most commonly chosen for apple pie. If you can’t find them, Honeycrisp, Braeburn, and Jonagold will work too.
With all that sugar, your apple pie is safe at room temperature. You should cover it with foil or plastic wrap and make sure to eat it within 2 days.
While it is a symbol of America, apple pie originated in England. It was influenced by French cooking.
Apple pie gets watery when you don’t precook the filling or you don’t use flour to meld with the natural juices from the apples. With this recipe, you won’t run into a runny pie problem!
- Stir well and quickly as you add the flour to the melted butter mixture. You won’t want to get big lumps of buttery flour in your pie.
- You can cover the edges of the pie crust with foil to prevent them from getting too dark.
- Make sure you create vents for the top portion of the pie if you’re not doing a lattice top design.
- Have plenty of vanilla ice cream and whipped cream for serving. Want something different? Try it with chocolate ice cream!
Serve up a slice of this easy homemade apple pie!
Easy Homemade Apple Pie
- 8 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 9-inch pie crusts
- Preheat the oven to 425 F and grease a pie pan. Unroll the pie crust and press down into the pie pan. Press against the sides and the bottom.
- Add butter to a pan and melt it over low heat. Add flour and stir well to combine. Add sugars and water and bring to a boil. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Top the crust with apples, add flour sugar mixture on top. Cut the second pie crust into slices and top the pie with the slices.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 F and cook for 40-45 minutes more. Enjoy!