In this life, there are desserts, and then there are desserts. Some are comfy and remind us of home, some are fancy and feel like fine dining. Our French Chocolate Silk pie falls in the second category.
The smoothness of this intensely flavored chocolate silk pie is beyond compare; time slows down as you slide your fork through its soft filling and goes back to normal when you hit the crunchy cracker crust.
This dessert is perfect for special occasions; it’s the cherry on the cake of a lovely multi-course dinner or the ideal “thanks for having us” gift.
If you’ve tried the French Chocolate Silk Pie before, you’re probably a bit intimidated. We’re talking restaurant-quality here.
Making a chocolate silk pie from scratch is a scary thought too, considering all the ready-mix options in the supermarket aisles. Trust us, there’s no better pie than the one made with your hands. It ends up having a part of you, and you can taste it.
Finally, you might think there’s time to cook in your busy life. Who has time to make dessert these days?
Read on, and we’ll convince you there’s nothing to fear.
What goes into a French Chocolate Silk Pie?
You might not know this, and chefs probably don’t want you to, but this delicate dessert is actually as easy to make as it is to enjoy. It takes fifteen minutes to make, and you probably already have most ingredients in the pantry.
There’s more good news. You don’t even need an oven; this chocolate silk pie is a no-bake dessert that gets its texture from a good time in the fridge, all flavors combine, and the crust hardens with time and nothing else.
For starters, there’s chocolate. A bar of good, high-quality baking chocolate is the core of our silky pie. The right amount of sugar makes the chocolate wake up and really shine.
Then we have cream cheese and whipped cream. These two combined give the pie its heavenly texture.
Finally, there’s the crust. We’ve tried dozens of different biscuits and crackers for our crusts; each recipe seems to call for a different one. This time, Graham crackers rose to the occasion and gave this pie the perfect bed for the silkiest filling.
- Source high-quality chocolate. Dark chocolate is best. All-Natural unsweetened chocolate 100% cacao really makes the difference.
- Make your own whipped cream. It’s not as hard as it looks and tastes far better than store-bought.
- Use unsalted butter; not only will the flavor be purer, but the texture will be firmer. Salted butter holds more water. Unsalted butter is usually fresher too!
- Take your time to create a smooth, homogeneous crust. The difference between a crumbly crust and a firm one is a tiny detail that matters.
Make this chocolate silk pie and feel like a pro. Trust us, the results are far better than you anticipate, and the short cooking time will give you enough time to focus on dinner and your guests.
Whether you’re looking to treat your family, impress your boss, or simply indulge your chocolate cravings, our French Chocolate Silk Pie is for you.
French Chocolate Silk Pie
- 4 oz dark chocolate
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 cups whipped cream
- 1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Melt chocolate (you can use the microwave or melt it on a water bath). Allow to cool a little.
- Beat cream cheese in a bowl, add powdered sugar to cream and chocolate, mix well until combined.
- Add whipped cream, mix well until smooth.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, butter and granulated sugar in a separate bowl. Press graham cracker mix into springform pan.
- Pour chocolate mix over the crust. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve topped with whipping cream and grated chocolate.