Apple Crisp Bars
Juicy apples pair with brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, and classic ingredients to make the best bars you ever had!
For the base:
- ¾ cup unsalted butter cut into small squares
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup light brown sugar packed
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 4 large apples peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the topping:
- ½ cup unsalted butter cut into small squares
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup oats old fashioned
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ⅓ teaspoon ground cinnamon
To make the base:
Preheat the oven to 300°F. Combine all the base ingredients into a food processor and then pulse until there are only small lumps.
Pour the mixture into a 9x13-inch baking pan, pack it down firmly with the back of a spoon, and then bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, set aside, and increase the oven temperature to 350°F.
To make the topping:
Combine all of the topping ingredients into a medium bowl and then mix with a fork until it turns crumbly.
Now pour half of this topping mixture into the baking pan on top of the base and spread it out evenly. Then add the apple filling mixture on top of that and spread it evenly. And then spread the remaining topping mixture evenly over top of the apples.
Bake for 40 minutes and then let it cool to room temperature. Cut into 24 bars and then serve. Enjoy!
- Sub gluten-free flour and oats if you want to make this recipe gluten-free without sacrificing any of the classic flavors.
- Firm crisp apples like Granny Smith, Honeycrisp, or Jonagold hold their shape well in baked apple recipes, while softer varieties like Golden Delicious will fall apart a bit, so save those for your next apple butter or applesauce recipe.
- Check for doneness with a sharp knife. If the top of your crisp is golden but the apples aren’t quite tender enough yet, cover the baking pan with foil and cook the crisp for a little longer.
Calories: 212kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 54mg | Potassium: 89mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 312IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg