Iced Thumbprint Cookies
These gorgeous cookies are easy to make. They boast a vanilla flavor with sweet, colored icing.
For the cookies:
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
For the icing:
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons milk
- food coloring any color(s) of your choice
To make the cookies:
Combine the sugar, butter, salt, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl and beat until you have a creamy consistency. Then mix in the flour until well combined without overmixing. Transfer the bowl to the refrigerator to let the dough chill for at least 1 hour.
Once chilled, preheat the oven to 350°F and then remove the dough from the refrigerator. Form small balls and place them onto ungreased baking sheets at least 3 inches apart, and then press your thumb into the center of each one to make a thumbprint.
Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly browned and then let them cool to room temperature.
To make the icing:
In a large mixing bowl, mix the sugar, vanilla, and milk together until smooth. If the icing is too runny, add a bit more confectioners’ sugar. If too thick, add a bit more milk. Mix a few drops of food coloring in until you achieve the color you desire.
Once the cookies have cooled completely, spoon the icing into each thumbprint. Once the icing has set, serve and enjoy!
- Leave the butter out for half an hour before you start. If it’s soft then it will blend better into the dough.
- If you want to make these extra small, you can use a fingertip instead of a thumb for the indentation.
- Add a little cocoa powder to the dough if you want to add a chocolate flavor.
- If you chill the dough for more than an hour, that’s fine, but you might have to roll it in your hands a bit to make it soft enough to shape.
Calories: 53kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 24mg | Potassium: 9mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 115IU | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 1mg