Strawberry Custard Tart
A slice of this tart makes a rich and indulgent dessert. It's a gorgeous French dessert and strawberries make the perfect topping.
For the crust:
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 4 ounces unsalted butter cold
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
For the vanilla custard:
- 6 egg yolks
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ vanilla bean split lengthwise
For the strawberries and syrup:
- 2 tablespoons grand marnier
- 16 ounces strawberries halved and hulled
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
To make the crust:
Take a food processor and place all the crust ingredients into it, and process until it resembles cornmeal.
Take a tart pan and press the crust mixture into it and bake for 15 minutes at 375°F.
To make the strawberry syrup:
To make the vanilla custard:
Place vanilla bean and milk in a saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium heat.
When it boils, remove it from the heat and let it cool slightly. Scrape the pulp from the vanilla bean into the milk and discard the pod.
Now take another bowl and whisk the sugar and egg yolk in it until combined, and then add the flour to the mixture and mix well.
Slowly whisk in half the milk mixture from the saucepan into the egg and sugar mixture. Then whisk the mixture from this bowl back into the milk mixture in the saucepan and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes while continually whisking until the mixture has thickened.
Spread the custard on the bottom of the crust and then refrigerate the filled shell for 20 minutes.
Decorate the tart with strawberry halves. Cut into pieces and serve with the reserved strawberry juice.
- It’s important to use fresh strawberries for this recipe because thawed or canned ones are mushy and won’t look or taste so good.
- The custard should be quite thick so it sits on the crust instead of sinking into it. Once it coats the back of a spoon it’s thick enough.
- Don’t pour the marinating liquid on top until just before serving it.
Calories: 371kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 183mg | Sodium: 131mg | Potassium: 194mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 28g | Vitamin A: 649IU | Vitamin C: 33mg | Calcium: 88mg | Iron: 2mg