Soul food sweet potato pie is a classic dessert that you’ll find in southern kitchens in the US. Resembling pumpkin pie, it features a filling made with mashed sweet potatoes sweetened with sugar and spices to create a dense and delightful dessert that delivers plenty of healthy antioxidants.
What Goes Into Sweet Potato Pie?
Sweet potato pie is the kind of dessert that involves very little hands-on time. The majority of the prep work will be cooking your sweet potatoes. Once they’re ready, you’ll mash them. Then you can use you mixer to beat butter in as well as the other ingredients to get your filling.
Pour it all into your awaiting pie crust and then bake it. When it’s in the oven, you can get busy cooking your other gems or simply take a breather until company comes to help you eat your delicious sweet potato pie.
In Africa, sweet potatoes and yams were native. When Africans came to the United States, they used these root veggies instead of pumpkin. That’s how this delicious pie came to be. While it is a must-serve dish at many African-American homes during the holidays, everyone who has discovered it serves it as well, particularly in the south.
Sweet potato pie temperature is a personal preference. Some prefer it cold while others prefer it warm. Regardless of temperature, many people love a little whipped cream on top.
Your sweet potato pie needs to cool at room temperature for about 2 to 4 hours. After that, it should go in the fridge. It will keep for 2 to 3 days in the fridge, assuming there are any leftovers.
Sweet potato pie might be one of the best to freeze. Simply prepare the entire pie as instructed, but instead of baking, wrap it in plastic wrap in about 3 layers, then slide into a freezer bag. It should keep for up to 6 months.
Boiling your sweet potatoes takes less time than baking, plus it can retain more of the nutrients this root veggie has for your health.
- Boil your sweet potatoes first and let them cool down. This will make your pie prep easier.
- While you boil the sweet potatoes, let the butter sit out to soften for faster prep.
- Using a ready to roll pie crust cuts down on your prep time, though you can use your favorite pie crust recipe if you prefer.
- Whipped cream is an excellent topping for sweet potato pie!
Whisper sweet potato pie nothings in my ear while you enjoy this Southern soul food classic!
Soul Food Sweet Potato Pie
- 1 9-inch pie crust
- 1 lb sweet potato, cooked, peeled
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Mash potatoes in a bowl. Add butter and beat well to combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the pie crust and stir well to combine.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease a pie pan. Unroll the pie crust and press into the pie pan. Add the filling on top and bake for 55-60 minutes.