At first glance, the Southern buttermilk pie appeals to the sense with its subtle appearance. Its soft yellow hues grab your attention. As the fork glides smoothly through the pie, the craving to take a bite becomes irresistible!
The silky sweet, tangy and buttery flavors of the pie stick to the palate. Finally, the pastry crust tops it off by adding just the right amount of crunch to the overall silky smooth textured buttermilk pie.
Traditionally, this elegant buttermilk pie was the United Kingdom’s delight. As time went on, the pie sealed its position in the hearts of those residing in the southern region of the United States. Thereafter, the title “southern” was officially attached to its name.
What Goes Into Southern Buttermilk Pie?
The goodness of this delightful pie lies in its amazing ingredients. Obviously, we already know it consists of buttermilk. Along with that, it has several common baking ingredients such as sugar, flour, eggs, butter, vanilla extract, lemon zest, lemon juice, and ready pastry.
Interestingly, this dessert entails ingredients filled with nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that work positively to maintain a fit body and a healthy mind. Excellent!
So, let’s begin with the core ingredient - “buttermilk.”
Buttermilk is packed with multiple vitamins, calcium, and protein. Therefore, it is an excellent detoxification agent, which helps in digestion, can lower high blood pressure instantly, improve the immune system, strengthen bones, moisturize skin naturally, and aids in shedding weight!
Lemon is an aromatic flavoring ingredient. Both its zest and juice goes into the pie. A high source of Vitamin C, including lemon juice/zest in daily intake, can help in losing weight, protect from stroke or heart troubles, safeguard from anemia, eliminate kidney stone formation and also shield from cancer.
- Save the pastry from swelling up while baking by poking some holes in it with a fork after butter brushing the ready pastry.
- To avoid clumping of the eggs into the sugar and flour mixture, mix the eggs with a spatula first and then move on to whisking using a whisker.
- To know the pie is perfectly cooked, give the pie a slight shake sideways after taking it out of the oven. If the pie wiggles a little then it’s ready. If the pie wiggles too much, then bake it for a few more minutes in the oven.
Aromatic Pie: Easy and Yummy
If often happens that we are in no mood for cooking. Yet, the family craves for something delicious. In those cases, this southern buttermilk pie is a perfect baking solution! With only 10 minutes of preparation, a spectacular yummy dessert is ready in less than an hour.
You can prepare this quick pie for a Thanksgiving dinner, potluck parties, or for a weekend get-together with friends. Not to mention, the pie’s exclusive sweet and tangy flavor impresses kids and adults the same. Trust me! Even kids running away from buttermilk will love this delicious pie.
This southern buttermilk pie can be enjoyed warm, cooled to room temperature or chilled in the freezer. Some variations of this famous recipe include adding spices such as nutmeg or cinnamon.
Please your taste-buds by indulging in this wonderful pie!
Southern Buttermilk Pie
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp flour
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tbsp lemon zest
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 package ready pastry
- Press the ready pastry into the baking dish or a cake pan, brush with butter. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix sugar and flour in a bowl. Add egg and whisk well.
- Add buttermilk, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Mix well until combined and pour onto the pastry.
- Cook for about 40 minutes. Shield edges with foil every 15 minutes. Let cool before serving.