There are times when you want to make something special for you or your loved ones. Some evenings are just special enough to take your time and make a proper, restaurant-quality dessert at home.
Crepes are light and airy. Paper-thin and deliciously silky, crepes filled with anything, from chocolate to Nutella, from fresh strawberries to bananas, will be your go-to recipe for memorable occasions.
These strawberry creamy crepes will take your cooking to the next level.
We’ll be honest, making crepes correctly takes skill, especially if you want to get Instagram-ready, thin, slightly browned wrappers.
Your first batch might not look like you want it to, but you’ll master the art of crepe-making in no time, practice makes perfect.
If you think you need a fancy crepe maker or any other special tool to make crepes, don’t worry, you don’t. A wide-enough multi-purpose skillet is the only thing you need to cook your crepes evenly.
We can think of this recipe as two separate tasks. You’ll be making the crepe batter and then the filling.
The crepe batter you want to know by heart… we see spinach crepes, ham and cheese crepes, and Nutella crepes in your future. The good thing is you always have the needed ingredients at home.
The filling is another story. You can be creative with this one, as long as your filling tastes good, you can play around.
What goes into our Strawberry Creamy Crepes?
The crepe batter is nothing but eggs, milk, butter, and flour. Ubiquitous baking staple ingredients you already have at home. You don’t need much more to get a smooth batter with a runny consistency.
The heart of your filling is the high-quality, real Mascarpone cheese; it will give your crepes texture and a lovely acidic bite. It’s the strawberries that’ll provide the flavor and personality of your pancakes. Fresh strawberries, locally sourced, organic if possible, are the soul of your crepes.
Chopnotch baking tips
- Don’t spend the evening in the kitchen, especially if you have company. Make your crepe batter and filling the night before. When the time comes, just make the crepes a-la-minute.
- Use wooden chopsticks to flip the crepes, handle them with care to avoid punctures, and flip them with confidence.
- Use fresh strawberries and sort the best ones for your crepes, leaving unripe berries behind. Sometimes sacrifices must be made.
- Grease your skillet with butter as necessary; after a few batches, things might get sticky.
- Powdered sugar is the best way to decorate your crepes; plate these gorgeous treats like in a fancy restaurant.
Making crepes is fun. It’s a great skill to have up your sleeve. As a tool for creativity, you can make crepes every week and won’t be short on filling ideas. Let’s get cooking.
Strawberry Creamy Crepes
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp sugar, for filling
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup Mascarpone cheese
- 4 tsp fresh basil, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
- Mix eggs, milk, butter, flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and salt in a bowl. Whisk until smooth. You can also use a blender. Cover and refrigerate the batter for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the filling. Mix cheese and 1 tablespoon sugar in a separate bowl. Add basil and lemon juice. Add strawberries, mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Grease skillet with butter. Spoon about 3 tablespoons crepe batter onto the skillet and cook for 1-2 minutes on one side, then flip over. Cook the rest of batter this way.
- Spoon filling over each crepe and roll up. Serve and enjoy!