Crème Brûlée for Two
With only 4 ingredients, this makes for a delicious dessert for two that can be made ahead and is so easy to get perfect.
- ¾ cup whipping cream 35%
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar for caramelizing
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Prepare two custard cups or ramekins.
Mix cream and vanilla extract in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
In a separate bowl whisk egg yolks with sugar. Add egg mixture to the cream right when it starts to boil. Whisk well as you go.
Transfer the mixture to the cups or ramekins, and put them into a baking dish. Pour hot water into the baking dish, half the height of the cups. Bake for 30 minutes.
Remove the cups or ramekins from the baking dish and let cool for 2 hours or more.
Sprinkle with sugar before serving. Place the cups right under the broiler and heat until sugar caramelizes. You can also use mini torch. Enjoy!
- To ensure the custard remains cold at the bottom when served, place them on a chilled tray.
- The classic recipe dates back a few hundred years, but you might like to try modern variations, adding ingredients like lemon, liqueur, orange, coffee, or chocolate.
- Stick with a thin and even sugar layer on top for a uniformly crispy topping. You can repeat this layer if you want a thicker topping.
- Decorate the finished dessert with a fresh berry or sprig of herbs if you wish. This classic dessert is also perfectly served just as it is.
Calories: 569kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 513mg | Sodium: 52mg | Potassium: 110mg | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 1831IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 1mg