The incredible sponge cake is a real crowd pleaser! As the baking scent of vanilla spreads throughout each room, family and friends are filled with joyousness.
After all, cakes have always been part of celebratory and joyful moments!
This strawberry sponge cake is an interesting combination of warm, soft, airy cakes, delicious cream, and rich strawberry jam. After the light dusting of powdered sugar, the cake transforms into a savory masterpiece.
The strawberry sponge cake is also known as “Victoria sponge cake.” It earned its name from Queen Victoria, who preferred her afternoon tea with a piece of this cake.
This recipe allows you to learn how to elevate a basic sponge cake effortlessly.
What goes into baking strawberry sponge cake?
Many folks hold the misconception that sponge cakes contain rare ingredients and difficult baking steps. This is a false notion, as this lovely Victoria sponge is created with very common ingredients.
All you need is flour, baking powder, sugar, unsalted softened butter, some eggs, vanilla extract, double cream, strawberry jam, and little powdered sugar.
When used in recipes, the mildly sweet flavored unsalted butter allows the natural flavors of all the ingredients to be retained. Furthermore, adding salt separately allows the chef to control the right amount of saltiness.
The inclusion of eggs is immensely health-effective, as eggs contain good cholesterol, aid in developing cell membranes and are extremely helpful in maintaining good eyesight.
Quite surprisingly, a measured amount of double cream daily is very good for our health too. It includes properties to safeguard our body from infection, maintain great skin health and also has a high amount of Vitamin A which improves eye health.
- Using unsalted butter gives the cake an amazingly fresh flavor, which salted butter is unable to provide in baked recipes.
- To achieve the best sponge cake, ensure all your ingredients are at room temperature. For instance, avoid using cold eggs stored in the refrigerator, as they tend to hold less air when whipped. Opt for fresh eggs.
- Place the baking pans in the center of the oven to achieve the right soft sponge texture of the cake.
- To evenly coat the cake with light powdered sugar, use a fine sieve. Place a small amount of powdered sugar in the sieve and softly shake it all over the cake.
Classic dessert: simple and delectable
This strawberry sponge cake is totally achievable in less than an hour. The classic dessert only takes 15-20 minutes of prepping time. For the next 30 minutes, you can relax and enjoy the captivating fragrance. Finally, let the cake cool to finish with the much-loved strawberry jam and cream filling, along with the sweet sprinkling.
The tradition of sharing a homemade cake with near and dear ones as a gesture of love and warmth never gets old.
Save some slices of the gorgeous strawberry sponge cake for your hours of solitude to relish with a cup of tea while reading your favorite book.
The cake not only tastes exotic but looks grand too! Bake it to make it your party’s understated center-piece!
Strawberry Sponge Cake
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/5 cup double cream
- 4 1/2 oz strawberry jam
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar, for serving
- Prepare two 8 inch springform cake pans and line them with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Whisk butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl until slightly fluffy. Slightly beat eggs in a separate bowl, add to butter mixture, mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly add this mix to the egg butter mixture. Mix well to form batter and divide between two pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes, remove from the pan.
- Whip cream in a bowl to soft peaks, spread it on one half of the cake. Spread the second layer of strawberry jam and cover with the second half of the cake. Serve dusted with powdered sugar.