Creamy and dreamy with the tropical taste of coconut, few things complete a meal with more elegance than a coconut pie. And the best part is it takes just minutes to put together, baking up with that luscious aroma. The hardest part is waiting for it to cool before enjoying!
What Goes Into Easy French Coconut Pie?
Let’s start with the most obvious ingredient for this custardy coconut pie…coconut! The shredded coconut creates a moist and rich texture that virtually melts in your mouth. Along with eggs plus melted unsalted butter, vanilla extract, sugar, white vinegar, and a pinch of salt, the filling comes together fast.
After that, it’s all a matter of putting it into the awaiting pie crust and baking. It’s a simple yet elegant dessert from French cuisine. Simply knowing that, it HAS to be good. French cuisine is one of the most revered in the world, teaching us that a few very basic ingredients is all it takes to whip up something amazing in the kitchen.
Coconut pie is a French dessert. The taste is coconutty with a rich and satisfyingly sweet texture that is lightly crisp on the top and heavenly inside.
Unfortunately, with eggs in the recipe, coconut pie isn’t vegan. You can use a vegan egg replacer or blend ¼ cup of either silken tofu, soy yogurt, or coconut yogurt instead. As for the pie crust, many brands are vegan so check the labels when shopping.
Because of the coconut, it’s best not to plan on freezing your coconut pie. It will wind up watery when you thaw it.
Making coconut pie from scratch is easy. You’ll only need 8 ingredients and 10 minutes of active prep time. You’ll preheat the oven, make the coconut filling, pour it into the pie crust and bake.
While you’ll want to serve your coconut pie at room temperature, any leftovers should be covered and kept in the fridge. We recommend eating it within a few days.
- You can make your own pie crust, but we suggest a premade pie shell to make it even easier to dish up this sophisticated pie!
- If you want your pie to be extra sweet, use sweetened coconut. If you’d prefer it has less overpowering sweetness, choose unsweetened coconut since sugar is added to the recipe.
- To keep the edges of the crust from over-browning, cover them with foil. Your pie will be perfect!
Easy French Coconut Pie
- 1 9- inch pie shell
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ¼ cup coconut flakes, shredded
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Beat eggs in a bowl, add sugar, vinegar, and vanilla, mix well.
- Slowly add melted butter and salt, mix again.
- Add coconut flakes and stir well to combine. Pour the mixture into the cake pan and bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature and serve.