This dark brown southern chocolate cobbler is truly designed to bring joy to chocolate lovers. This dessert is an uncanny taste bomb waiting to be devoured.
A spoonful of this sweet dish creates a chocolaty explosion in your mouth and leaves your plate coated with the liquid chocolaty flavorsome sauce. The brownie-like moist textured portions offer delicate chewy bits. Finally, the wonderfully baked top, drenched in creamy cold vanilla ice-cream, overpowers the senses leaving one utterly speechless!
In this vegetarian recipe, I have added 20 minutes of cooling time. However, it is only natural to lose control by the tempting sight and aroma of a sizzling fresh home baked southern chocolate cobbler! Therefore, you may opt to enjoy it the traditional way- served warm with a generous scoop of vanilla ice-cream on top.
What Goes Into Southern Chocolate Cobbler?
The remarkable southern chocolate cobbler may sound like an extravagant dessert, but it doesn’t require fancy ingredients. In fact, it can be made with a few common ingredients such as; butter, sugar, cocoa powder, milk, flour, vanilla extract, water, and vanilla ice cream (for serving).
Fabulous as it may sound, this chocolate heaven of bubbling, creamy, moist, and tender sweetness also covers healthy aspects.
Milk is well-known for its intense calcium content, therefore aiding to keep excellent bone health.
Cocoa powder also has a fair bit of health benefits, too. For example, it's a superb mood enhancer, a great anti-oxidant, saves from inflammatory troubles, keeps heart diseases at bay, and can boost immunity as well.
- Before putting the baking dish in the oven, place a baking tray underneath the dish. This will keep things neat, as sometimes the fudge sauce tends to overflow and drip while baking.
- To know your chocolate cobbler is perfectly baked, check if the top is dry and has some cracks, while the edges should have tiny bubbling fudge sauce.
- A good alternative to all-purpose flour is self-rising flour.
Chocolate Dessert: Simple and Quick
You will be stunned to know that this southern chocolate cobbler, oozing with chocolaty sweet sauce, only requires 10 minutes to prepare!
This recipe simply follows one key step, which is “mix & pour.”
The main step of mixing and pouring is repeated 3 times throughout the recipe. There are 4 layers in this dessert. First, the bottom layer is formed by the melted butter. Second, it is followed by a gooey batter. The third layer is a dry mix made of sugar and cocoa powder. Finally, the layering is complete by adding some hot water on top.
Additionally, there is just one thing to remember; do not, I repeat, do not stir after pouring!
You can bake it for your kids, for parties, events, or your very own weekend binge! Spare an hour and a couple of minutes to bake and cool it, or simply dig in after taking it out of the oven! Any which way you try, you can never have enough of it.
My suggestion is to go with your preference! For example, if you love a runny, super moist warm dessert, then you can serve it immediately. However, if you enjoy a thicker chocolaty sauce and a slightly set dessert, leave it to cool for some minutes before serving.
Keep this simple and quick recipe at hand. This incredible southern chocolate cobbler can be baked at any time, and as many times you want!
Southern Chocolate Cobbler
- 1 cup butter
- 3 ½ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups boiling water
- vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Melt butter in a baking dish in the oven, preheated to 350 F.
- Mix 1 ½ cup sugar, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, milk, flour and vanilla extract in a bowl.
- Pour mixture to the baking dish on top of butter, but do not stir!
- Mix 2 cups sugar, ½ cup cocoa powder in a separate bowl. Add the mixture on top of the cobbler batter, do not stir!
- Pour water on top, again, no stirring.
- Cook in the oven for 35-40 minutes. Cool for 20 minutes. Serve with ice cream.